This is a traditional recipe for apple strudel from the South Tyrol alps. Any idea what the secret ingredient is to make your apple strudel even tastier? Your Big Green Egg! This Austrian pastry and the smoky flavour of your Kamado are a match made in heaven.
- 500 g flour + extra for dusting
- 300 g sugar
- 20 g cornflour
- 8 g baking powder
- 250 g cold butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp milk
- 500 g slightly sour apples
- 50 g walnuts
- 50 g breadcrumbs
- 30 g raisins
- 4 tbsp cane sugar
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp rum
- icing sugar
- dried edible flowers (optional)
- whipped cream and/or vanilla sauce
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- To prepare the dough, mix the flour with the sugar, cornflour, baking powder and a pinch of salt. Cut the butter into cubes, add it with 2 eggs (set one egg aside) and the milk to the flour and knead into a cohesive dough. Wrap the dough in cling film and leave it to rest in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.
- For the filling, peel the apples and cut them into quarters. Remove the cores and shave the apple into thin slices. Roughly chop the walnuts and mix with the apple adding the remaining filling ingredients.
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor, the grid and the Baking Stone to 180°C.
- Dust the worktop with flower and roll out the dough into a nice rectangle (approx. 34 x 30 cm) with a thickness of about half a centimetre. Cut off any excess dough and use it for decoration, if so desired.
- Divide the filling over the middle of the dough, keeping approximately 2 centimetres free on the sides, and 10 at the top and bottom of the dough. Beat the egg set aside earlier and use it to coat the edges of the dough.
- Fold the top and bottom of the dough over the filling. Firmly press the sides of the dough. Decorate, if you like, the strudel with any carefully cut off pieces of the dough. Coat the apple strudel with the beaten egg.
- Dust the Baking Stone with flour and use the Aluminium Pizza Peel or a spatula to place the apple strudel on top of it. Close the lid of the EGG and bake the apple strudel for about 30 minutes until golden brown and done.
- Remove the apple strudel from the EGG and place it on a dish. Sprinkle with icing sugar and decorate it with the dried flowers, if so desired. Serve with whipped cream and/or vanilla sauce.