This delicious avocado salad with lobster cooked on cedar wood and grilled asparagus can be completely prepared in advance on your Big Green Egg. Serve the salad at room temperature. The only last-minute step is dressing the plates. Grilling the avocado on your kamado gives it great extra flavour.
- 150 g winter carrots
- 150 g fennel
- 2 onions
- 150 g leek
- 150 g celeriac
- 15 white peppercorns
- 15 green cardamom pods
- 2 Canadian lobsters, approx. 500 g each
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small head of broccoli
- 1 sweet apple, such as Jonagold
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 lime
- 1-2 cm fresh ginger
- 2 avocados
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 8 green asparagus
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 20 Salty Fingers
- 12 sprigs of dill
- 12 chive stalks
- 4 small nasturtium leaves
- 4 nasturtium flowers
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- For the court bouillon, coarsely chop the vegetables. Crush the peppercorns and cardamom pods. Put all ingredients in a large pan, add 4.5 l of water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low heat and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Soak a Cedar Wooden Grilling Plank in a bowl of water for at least 30 minutes. Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor and the Cast Iron Grid, to a temperature of 190°C. Grilling it indirectly prevents the avocado from burning.
- Pour the bouillon through a sieve, then pour back into the pan and return to a boil. Add 1 lobster to the bouillon and boil for 4 minutes. Scoop the lobster out of the pan, then boil the next lobster. The bouillon has to remain at a boil when adding the lobster, which is why you only add 1 lobster at a time, in a large pan with enough water. Boil the lobsters shorter than the guideline of 1 minute for every 100 grams, because you will also be grilling them later. Let the lobsters cool.
- For the salad, bring a pan of water to a boil and prepare a bowl of ice water. Submerge the head of broccoli in the boiling water for about 1 minute. Drain and cool the broccoli in the ice water. Drain the broccoli again until dry. Cut the florets off the broccoli.
- Peel the apple and remove the core. Cut the apple into small cubes and mix into the broccoli, along with the mayonnaise. Halve the lime and squeeze out the juice over the apple-broccoli mixture. Peel the ginger and chop finely. Mix into the apple-broccoli mixture.
- Break the legs and the pincers off the lobsters and remove the heads. Save the legs for the garnish. Crack open the pincers and remove the meat. Finely chop the meat from the pincers and mix into the apple-broccoli salad. Keep the tails in the carapace separate.
- Halve the avocados and remove the stones. For the garnish, cut off the hard ends of the asparagus. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the exposed surface of the avocados and the asparagus and coat them in olive oil. Grease the grid with olive oil using a paper towel. Grill the avocados (on the exposed surface) and the asparagus for 2-3 minutes. Rotate the avocados a quarter turn and rotate the asparagus, then grill for another 2-3 minutes. Close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Remove the avocados and asparagus from the EGG. Remove the grid and the convEGGtor. Put the grid back in place and heat the EGG to 200°C. Spoon the avocado flesh out of the skin (don’t let it go to waste!) and mash finely using a fork. Halve the asparagus and finely chop the bottom half. Mix the avocado and the finely chopped asparagus into the apple-broccoli mixture and add salt and pepper to taste. Scoop the avocado salad into a piping bag.
- Rub olive oil into the lobster tails in the shell and place on the soaked grill plank. Place the plank on the grid and grill the tails for about 5 minutes. Allow to cool down, remove the carapace and cut each tail into 2 equal parts. Remove the intestinal tracts. Save all the ingredients, including the avocado skins, cover and refrigerate.
- Allow all ingredients to reach the desired temperature for at least 15 minutes.
- Fill the avocado skins with the salad and smooth it out with a palette knife. Place a white napkin in each plate/dish and fill them with a layer of ice cubes; the napkin will keep the ice in place.
- On each plate, place a salad-stuffed avocado peel and place half of a lobster tail on top. Put the legs in the salad and place or insert 2 asparagus halves into each avocado half. Garnish with the Salty Fingers, the dill, the chives and the nasturtium leaves and flowers.
You can also let the lobster keep cooking on the grill plank à la minute and then serve lukewarm on top of the avocado salad.