The characteristic Mexican taco is a small filled tortilla wrap that is folded double and…
A Smokey Salmon Specialty! Smoking your own salmon trout on your Big Green Egg is easier than you think and it is also a lot of fun. You make the brine in which the fish will soak for at least two hours, after which it will dry for another two hours, giving you time to think about what other dishes you will make. Will it be antiboise, ratatouille, potato rosti, polenta patties, baba ghanoush or will you serve them all with the smoked salmon trout? Plenty of time to present a table full of delicious dishes!
- 3 salmon trout, approximately 1 kg, cleaned
- 1 lemon
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 200 g herbal hay
- 6 cloves fresh garlic
- 120 g pink salt (Colorozo)
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 small piece mace
- 5 green cardamom pods
- 5 cloves
- 5 juniper berries
- ½ tbsp caraway seed
- ½ tbsp fennel seed
- 10 black peppercorns
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Bring 1½ litre of water to the boil. In the meantime, cut the garlic cloves in half for the brine.
- Turn off the heat and add all of the ingredients for the brine to the water. Let the brine infuse for about 15 minutes.
- Add 1 litre cold water to the brine and allow it to cool completely before you use it.
- Rinse well the abdominal cavity and the outside of the salmon trout under cold running water, also removing any layer of slime present.
- Place the salmon trout in a suitable container and pour in enough brine so that the fish is well covered. Put the container in the refrigerator and let the fish soak for about two hours.
- Rinse the salmon trout again under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. Place the fish uncovered in the refrigerator and let them dry for about two hours.
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat to a temperature of 120°C. In the meantime, cut three slices of lemon approximately 1 cm thick. Crush the lemongrass and cut the stalks in half. Moisten the herbal hay with water and distribute the hay over the Ribs and Roasting Rack.
- Place one slice of lemon and one half stalk of lemongrass into the abdominal cavity of each salmon trout. Make three wads of aluminium foil and place one in each abdominal cavity. Place the fish on the hay in the Ribs and Roasting Rack; the fish should stay in place properly due to the aluminium foil.
- Place one Hickory Wood Chunk on the smouldering charcoal. Set up the convEGGtor and the Stainless Steel Grid. Place the Ribs and Roasting Rack on the grid and close the lid of the EGG. Let the salmon trout smoke approximately 1.5 hours until they have reached a core temperature of 52-55°C. Check the core temperature by placing the Instant Read Thermometer in the thickest part of the fish filet.
- Make an incision in the fish skin on the back side in order to remove the skin. Do this right before you serve the fish so that it stays wonderfully juicy.
- Serve the smoked salmon trout with side dishes of your choice such as an antiboise, baba ghanoush, ratatouille, potato rosti or polenta patties.