Spain is naturally known for its tapas. And while these are of course fabulously delicious, there is a lot more to discover when it comes to Spanish recipes. What would you say to a taste of the city of Madrid? The recipe for this stew includes three different courses that you can prepare on your Big Green Egg. The stew is the base, and the ingredients in the stew make an appearance in every course, each time forming another dish.
For the first course it’s bouillon with vermicelli. The second course dish is chickpeas slow cooked on the Kamado with green cabbage and sausage; it’s traditionally cooked in the bouillon but in this recipe we’re going to grill it on the Big Green Egg. For the third course you’ll be serving the stewed meat and vegetables that were cooked in the bouillon, with delicious pan-fried potatoes as a side.
- 2 leeks
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 carrots
- 2 onions
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 1 veal shank
- 500 kg of pork belly, without rind
- 1 chicken leg
- 2 slices of Serrano ham 100 g each
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 3 bay leaves
- 150 g vermicelli
- 1 tbsp black olives, pitted
- balsamic vinegar, to taste
- ½ green cabbage
- 1 tbsp butter
- 300 g waxy potatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder (sweet)
- 400 g chickpeas (tin, drained)
- 2 shallots
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 Iberico sausages
- 1 sprig of parsley
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika powder (sweet)
- 4 Iberico sausages
- 6 chorizo sausages
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the grid, to 180°C. Meanwhile, remove the ends of the carrots and celery stalks, and the green part of the leeks. Peel the carrots and cut into cubes. Peel the onions and cut them into sections. Peel the garlic cloves.
- Put the veal shank, pork belly, chicken leg and Serrano ham in the oval Green Dutch Oven. Distribute the leeks, celery, carrot, onion and garlic cloves around the meat. Add the rest of the ingredients for the stew, put the pan on the grid and add water to cover the contents. Wait until the water begins to boil.
- As soon as the water starts boiling remove the Dutch Oven and the grid from the EGG. Set up the convEGGtor, replace the grid and put the pan back on. Close the lid of the EGG and heat to 140°C. Let the stew cook for approx. 3 hours on a low heat until the meat and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally; add more water if necessary. The ingredients need not be covered with liquid anymore at the end of the cooking time.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan with lightly salted water to the boil for the vermicelli. Add the vermicelli to the pan and cook according to the instructions on the package. Drain and let stand. Bring another pan of lightly salted water to the boil for the cabbage. Cut the green cabbage into wide strips. Add it to the boiling water and blanche for 3-4 minutes, then drain. Rinse with cold water, allow to thoroughly drain, and let stand. Bring another pan of lightly salted water to the boil for the potatoes. Add the potatoes and cook for approx. 20 minutes until done. Drain the potatoes, allow them to cool slightly, then cut into slices of approx. 2 cm. Let stand.
- Halve the olives for the vermicelli. Rinse the chickpeas in a colander and allow to drain well. Peel and mince the shallots. Peel and finely chop the garlic. Cut the Iberico sausages into slices of approx. 1 cm. Remove the parsley leaves from the stalks and chop fine. Halve the garlic cloves for the potatoes. Let all ingredients stand until needed.
- Remove the stew from the EGG. Remove the grid and the convEGGtor and place the Cast Iron Grid in the EGG. Bring the temperature of the EGG to 190°C. Mix the olive oil and balsamic vinegar with salt and pepper to taste through the vermicelli. Arrange the vermicelli in 6 bowls or soup plates and fill with bouillon from the Dutch oven. Reserve 200 ml plus 1 tbsp bouillon from the pan separately for preparing the chickpeas and cabbage, then cover the Dutch oven again so the meat and vegetables stay warm. Eat the soup first before you go on to prepare the second course.
- For the second course – chickpeas, cabbage and sausage – heat the olive oil in the Cast Iron Skillet (Small). Add the shallots and garlic and cook until the shallots are translucent. Add the pieces of Iberico sausage and paprika power, then pan-fry until the sausages are well browned. Add the chickpeas to the pan along with the reserved 200 ml bouillon, and mix well. Let the chickpeas cook until they are heated through and much of the water has evaporated. Place in a serving dish and garnish with parsley. Wipe the skillet clean for the cabbage and then melt the butter. Meanwhile, put the Iberico and chorizo sausage on the grid next to the skillet. Grill the Iberico sausage approx. 2-3 minutes and the chorizo approx. 5 minutes, turning to brown. Add the cabbage slices and the reserved tbsp of bouillon to the skillet and let cook for approx. 4 minutes.
- Put the green cabbage in a serving dish, remove the sausage from the EGG and serve with the chickpeas. Eat the second course before you make the third and last course.
- Wipe the skillet clean again for the third course. Heat the olive oil in the skillet, then add the potato slices and garlic. Pan-fry the potatoes for approx. 15 minutes until golden brown. Garnish with smoked paprika powder and serve with the meat and vegetables from the Dutch oven.