The characteristic Mexican taco is a small filled tortilla wrap that is folded double and…
Fancy some authentic Greek food? How about this delicious moussaka? A classic and a must-try Greek dish. It is a delicious oven dish with aubergine and potato. For extra Big Green Egg flavour, you can cook more than just the oven dish itself on the kamado. First you grill the aubergine, make the sauces and then put the oven dish together to cook on your EGG. And in the meantime you can of course enjoy a nice glass of ouzo. A Greek holiday at home!
- 6 Nicola potatoes
- 2 aubergines
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g feta cheese
- 2 tbsp small black olives
- 2 onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 sprigs of oregano
- 2 sprigs of marjoram
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp Madras curry powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 400 g minced beef
- 400g tomato passata
- ½ onion
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tbsp flour
- 400 ml milk
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- 1.Light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the Cast Iron Grid, to a temperature of 220°C.
- In the meantime, wash the potatoes and bring them to the boil in a pan with lightly salted water. Boil the potatoes for approx. 20 minutes until done.
- Cut the aubergines into thin slices of about 4 mm. Sprinkle with olive oil and salt and pepper. Leave to absorb for about 15 minutes.
- For the red sauce and the béchamel sauce, peel and chop the onions. For the red sauce, peel and finely chop the garlic. Remove the leaves of the oregano and the marjoram and chop finely.
- Drain the potatoes. Leave to cool slightly, remove the skins and slice the potatoes.
- Fill the grid of the Big Green Egg with aubergine slices and grill them for 3-4 minutes. Turn over the slices and grill for another 3-4 minutes. Place them on a platter and grill the rest of the aubergine slices. Set the slices aside for a while.
- Remove the Cast Iron Grid and place the stainless steel grid in the EGG. For the red sauce, heat the olive oil in the Green Dutch Oven. Add the onions and garlic and cook until the onions are translucent. Mix in the spices (curry, cinnamon and cumin) and fry for about 1 minute until a delicious smell emerges.
- Add the mince and cook until done. Stir in the tomato passata, add the oregano and marjoram and let the sauce simmer for about 5 minutes. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper and spoon into a bowl.
- Wipe the Dutch Oven clean. Remove the grid, place the convEGGtor and replace the grid. Bring the temperature of the EGG to 190°C.
- Place the Dutch Oven back on the grid. For the béchamel sauce, melt the butter in the pan and fry the onions until translucent. Mix the spices into the onions and fry for about 1 minute until they start to become fragrant. Stir the flour into the onion mixture and let it cook for 3-4 minutes. Finally, pour the milk into the pan while stirring and let the sauce boil for about 1 minute until it has thickened. Season the béchamel sauce with salt and pepper.
- Divide the pre-cooked potato slices over 4 single-portion oven dishes (approx. Ø 15 cm). Spoon half of the red sauce evenly over the potatoes. Place half of the aubergine slices on top, layer the red sauce again and cover with the rest of the aubergine. Divide the béchamel sauce over the oven dishes and crumble the feta over it. Place the dishes on the grid and close the lid of the EGG. Bake the moussaka for 40-45 minutes until golden brown and cooked.
- Remove the oven dishes from the EGG. Halve the olives and sprinkle them over the moussaka. Serve the moussaka from the Big Green Egg with tzatziki.