Are you planning on making your own pizza on your Big Green Egg? How about this delicious pizza calzone with smoked halloumi? You can prepare halloumi raw, but it is the ideal cheese for baking, grilling and, as in this pizza recipe, smoking. This cheese doesn’t melt, so you can cut it in nice cubes afterwards. Make sure your pizza stone on your kamado is well heated before you start baking. That’s how you get the best result!
- 435 g flour, plus extra for dusting
- 10 g dried yeast
- 240 g white wine
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 block of halloumi cheese (200 g)
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 bunch of green asparagus
- 2 red onions
- 1 bunch of white shimeji mushrooms (150 g)
- 1 bunch of brown shimeji mushrooms (150 g)
- 500 ml passata tomato sauce
- 4 tbsp polenta
- 8 tbsp olive oil
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- For the dough, mix the flour and yeast in a bowl. Pour in the white wine and olive oil and add the honey. Mix the ingredients well, add the salt and knead into a pliable and elastic dough.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions and ball them up by folding the sides down. Leave the dough balls, covered with plastic foil or a clean tea towel, to rise for approx. 1 hour until they have doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg with 1 starter and heat to a temperature of 110°C. For the fillings, cut the halloumi cheese into slices.
- Place a Mesquite Wood Chunk on the smouldering charcoal. Place the convEGGtor and the grid and place the halloumi on top of it. Close the lid of the EGG and let the cheese smoke for approx. 30 minutes. The temperature will drop at first, but this is not a problem. Let it rise again to a maximum of 110 °C.
- In the meantime, prepare the remaining ingredients for the fillings. Halve the peppers and remove the stems and seeds. Cut the flesh into small strips. Cut the hard bottoms of the asparagus, throw them away and cut the asparagus into pieces. Peel the red onions and cut them into thin, half rings. Separate the shimeji mushrooms.
- Remove the halloumi from the EGG. Place the Baking Stone on the grid and bring the EGG to 250°C. Cut the halloumi into ½ centimetre cubes.
- Dust your worktop with flour and roll a ball of dough into a nice circle. Sprinkle the Aluminium Pizza Peel with a tablespoon of polenta and place the rolled pizza dough on top. Check by moving the shovel to make sure it does not stick; otherwise, sprinkle with some extra polenta.
- Cover half of the dough circle with a quarter of the passata and toss with a quarter of the vegetables and smoked cheese. Leave an edge of about 3 centimetres.
- Lightly moisten the edge of the dough circle with water. Flip the uncovered side over the toppings. Always fold a small piece of the edge so that you get a nice closure. Move the pizza spoon back and forth a bit to check whether the pizza still does not stick to the spoon. Brush the top of the pizza calzone with olive oil and let the calzone slide on the Baking Stone. Close the lid of the EGG and bake the pizza calzone for approx. 10 minutes until done and golden brown. In the meantime, fill up the next pizza.
- Remove the pizza calzone from the EGG and bake the rest of the pizzas in the same way.