This video shows you how to make your own delicious pizza prosciutto at home. It is easier than you think!
FOR THE DOUGH BASES
- 250 g flour (preferably type ‘00’) + extra for sprinkling
150 ml lukewarm water
20 g fresh yeast, or 7 g dry yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp olive oil
FOR THE TOMATO SAUCE
- ½ red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
10 fresh basil leaves
- 4 tbsp olive oil
2 tins of peeled tomatoes, 400 g each
- 1 ball of buffalo mozzarella
- 10 kalamata olives, pitted
- ½ red onion
8 slices of Parma ham
60 g grated mature cheese
- olive oil
16 fresh basil leaves
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- For the base, mix the flour with a pinch of salt in a bowl. Put the water in a measuring jug and dissolve the yeast and sugar in it. Mix the liquid into the flour, knead for 1 minute and add the olive oil. Now knead the dough thoroughly for at least 5 minutes. Cover the bowl with a clean damp kitchen towel and let the dough rise for 60 minutes.
- In the meantime, peel and chop the red onion and garlic for the sauce. Finely slice the fresh basil leaves. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan on the stove and sauté the onion and garlic for a few minutes. Add the tomatoes, heat for approximately 2 minutes and finally add the basil. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Fill the Big Green Egg with charcoal to just above the edge of the firebox. Make sure the pieces of charcoal are not too big. Light the charcoal using three fire starters. After lighting, keep both the lid of the EGG and the draft door at the bottom of the ceramic base fully open for about 20 minutes, until all of the charcoal is glowing.
- Close the lid of the EGG and increase the temperature to 300°C.
- Place the convEGGtor and the grid in the EGG after about 5 minutes and lay the Baking Stone on top. Close the lid and let the Baking Stone heat up thoroughly for about 15-20 minutes. Bring the temperature of the EGG back up to 300°C. Divide the dough into four equal portions and roll them into balls. Dust the Pizza Dough Rolling Mat with flour and roll out the first ball of dough on the mat with a rolling pin to a thickness of 1 millimetre.
- Dust the Aluminum Pizza Peel with flour and place the pizza base on it. Using a ladle, spoon half of the sauce in the middle of the base and spread it with the round underside of the spoon towards the edge. Leave a small gap between the sauce and the outer edge. Tear the buffalo mozzarella into pieces and break apart the olives. Peel the onion and cut it into thin rings. Distribute half of the mozzarella, olives, onion rings and grated cheese over the base.
- Dust the Baking Stone with flour. This prevents the dough from sticking and you can better gauge how hot the Baking Stone is. If the flour does not change colour, then it is not hot enough. It has to brown slowly and develop a delicious smell. Use the Pizza Peel to slide the pizza onto the Baking Stone, close the lid of the EGG and bake the pizza for about 6 minutes until done. After baking, distribute half of the Parma ham over the pizza, along with half of the basil and sprinkle with olive oil. Bake the second pizza in the same way.