Caramelised onions taste even better when prepared on the Big Green Egg. The sugars naturally present in the onion are converted into caramel by the heat. The result? Incredibly delicious caramelised onion with a subtle but intense flavour. In this shallot-based recipe the onions are also slowly roasted in the butter. One of the basics that you should really try making on your kamado and that you can serve as a delicious side dish.
10 banana shallots
2 tbsp olive oil
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
1. Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the grid, to a temperature of 180°C.
2. In the meantime, cut the ends off the banana shallots and halve them lengthwise.
1. Heat the Cast Iron Skillet on the grid.
2. Add the olive oil, let it heat up for a little while and place the unpeeled shallots in the skillet on the cut side. Fry them for 5 to 6 minutes until the cut side is nice and brown.
3. Add the butter, close the lid of the EGG and roast the shallots for 15-20 minutes until done. You don’t have to stir or flip the shallots. They will slowly cook in the butter.
4. Remove the skillet from the EGG and peel the shallots before serving.