Making apple compote on your Big Green Egg is so fast and simple. This mildly spicy version is extra thrilling because you add a little chili pepper along with ginger syrup to the compote. Applesauce with a bite! Since the charcoal is burning in your kamado, you can also make a delicious main course with which you can serve the compote. How about a nice Christmas ham with honey mustard sauce?
- 2 Jonagold apples
- 1 cm red Spanish chili pepper
- 3 tbsp ginger syrup
- 1 tbsp potato starch
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor and the Stainless Steel Grid, to a temperature of 180°C.
- Cut the apples into quarters. Peel and core the apples. Cut the flesh into .5 cm cubes. Remove the stalk and seeds from the chili pepper and slice the flesh finely.
- Heat the round Green Dutch Oven on the grid. Add the cubes of apple, chili pepper and ginger syrup and close the lid of the EGG. Let the compote simmer gently 6-8 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Mix the potato starch with a splash of water and stir it into the apple compote to thicken slightly.
The ultimate dish to serve with this delicious apple compote is Christmas ham with honey mustard sauce!