Are you looking for the ultimate vitello tonnato recipe to prepare on the Big Green Egg?
Well, you just found it! This 2.0 version of the Italian classic that you prepare on your kamado is a delicious luxury version unlike any version you’ve ever tasted before.
- 1 rosé veal escalope of approx. 1.5 kg
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 2 sprigs of sage
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tuna fillet (sashimi quality) of approx. 400 g
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground mustard seed
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp five-spice powder
- 1 tsp Madras curry powder
- 1 tsp fine salt
- 100 g tuna in oil (tin)
- ½ tbsp capers
- 4 cornichons
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 100 g tuna in oil (tin)
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 tbsp snocciolate olives, pitted
- 1 sprig of flat leaf parsley
- 200 ml tomato passata
- 50 ml olive oil
- rocket flowers (optional)
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the grid, to a temperature of 180°C.
- In the meantime, cut any skin and irregularities from the veal escalope for the vitello. Place the sprigs of rosemary and sage on top of the veal escalope and tie the meat with butcher’s twine.
- For the tonnato, cut the tuna fillet lengthwise into 2 equal pieces. Mix all the ingredients for the spice mix and sprinkle it on a plate. Roll the pieces of tuna through the spice mix so that they are covered on all sides with the mix. Pat off the excess spice mix.
- Heat the olive oil in the Cast Iron Skillet (Small). Add the tuna pieces and fry each side for about 30 seconds. Leave the tuna to cool slightly. Take the grid from the EGG, place the convEGGtor and replace the grid. Heat the EGG to 140°C.
- Wrap the tuna pieces individually in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator.
- Rub the veal escalope with the olive oil and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper and sea salt flakes. Put the veal escalope onto the grid and push the Dual Probe Remote Thermometer into the centre of the meat. Close the lid of the EGG and set the core temperature to 55 °C. Let the meat cook until this temperature has been reached. This will take about 50-60 minutes.
- In the meantime, drain the tuna and capers for the tuna mayonnaise. Finely chop the cornichons. Break the tuna into small pieces and mix with the other ingredients for the mayonnaise. Cover and put the tuna mayonnaise in the refrigerator until use.
- For the tuna sauce, drain the tuna and capers. Finely chop the olives. Remove the parsley leaves from the stalks and chop finely. Break the tuna into pieces and mix with the other ingredients for the sauce. Cover and put the sauce in the refrigerator until use.
- Remove the veal escalope from the EGG when the set core temperature has been reached. Leave the meat to rest uncovered for about 10 minutes (you can serve it lukewarm or at room temperature). Allow the tuna mayonnaise and sauce to reach room temperature. Cut the pieces of tuna into thin slices, possibly in the foil to make it easier. Remove the foil if you haven’t already done so.
- Divide the tuna sauce over a large plate. Cut the veal escalope into slices as thin as possible and spread them over the sauce with the slices of tuna. Spoon a few spoons of the tuna mayonnaise on top and garnish with the rocket and rocket flowers if desired.