This recipe owes its name to the bowl in which it is prepared: a terrine. During the preparation, we place the terrine in the Rectangular Drip Pan in the EGG, enabling its contents (wild duck) to cook all the way through. The wild duck must then be stored in the refrigerator for 24 hours in order to cool. So make sure to prepare this delicious dish in good time!
FOR THE WILD DUCK BREAST FILLET
100 g dried cranberries
3 tbsp cognac
150 ml red wine
500 g wild duck breast fillet
100 g smoked bacon strips
1 tbsp peanut or rice oil
6 juniper berries
200 g organic pork mince
2 tsp chilli powder
4 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaved parsley
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
1. Put the cranberries into a mixing bowl, add the cognac and 50 millilitres of wine and steep for 60 minutes.
- Heat the Big Green Egg with the Cast Iron Grid to a temperature of 200 °C. Neatly carve the fat of the duck breast fillets and set it aside. Grill the duck breast fillets on both sides. Allow the duck breast fillets to cool and slice them finely. Remove the grid from the EGG using the Cast Iron Grid Lifter, position the convEGGtor and place the grid back again. Heat the EGG to a temperature of 160 °C.
- Peel and finally chop the shallots and slice the bacon strips. Heat the oil in the Cast Iron Dutch Oven on the Big Green Egg and stir fry the shallots and bacon. Remove the pot from the EGG and place its contents in a bowl. Close the lid of the EGG and allow it to heat up again.
- Mix the finely sliced, grilled duck breast fillets with the remaining red wine and turn the mixture through a meat grinder to form mince. Bruise the juniper berries and mix them in with the duck mince, the steeped cranberries, pork mince, egg, chilli powder and parsley and shallot mixture. Season to taste liberally with salt & pepper and knead well.
- Coat the terrine form with the fat set aside from the duck breast fillets and allow it to hang over the edges. Fill with the mince mixture, fold the fat back over the top and press well. Place the form in the Rectangular Drip Pan and pour warm water into it. Position the Rectangular Drip Pan on the grid, close the lid and cook the terrine for around half an hour.
- Remove the terrine from the EGG and cool until lukewarm. Pour the liquid released from the form, remove the terrine from the form and set aside to cool completely. Cover with foil and set aside in the fridge for 24 hours.
- Serve the terrine with the sourdough or whole-wheat bread and cranberry chutney roasted in the Big Green Egg.